Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Jesus Loves You, Boobies and Fireworks...our holiday trip now in 3-D!!

First of all let me tell you all happy new year! I hope that this year is a bit more tranquil for the world than last...of course will northern California currently being drowned...it does not seem likely. Alas.

So our holiday trip began with a trip to Newark airport...always a joy where people treat you like an idiot...checking in online the night before means jack squat when you have luggage to check...you end up waiting in a line just as long as the check in line...fabulous planning. Most businesses that I know, especially service industry businesses often hire extra staff to accommodate the higher volume of traffic that often comes in conjunction with the holidays. What I don't understand is why it seems that every year there are less people working at airports during the holidays. Why? WTF? It's not like they can't see this coming, I mean the holidays pretty much happen the same time every year right? Who the hell is running this show? My favorite part of all of this is the "personal" message from the CEO of the company thanking you and trumping up his airline as the most professional etc. As we boarded, there seemed to be some confusion as to the seating which was absolutely hysterical. One person came on and called for a couple of passengers to come up because they had been upgraded. Five minutes later another person grabbed a couple of passengers and tried to take them up to the very same first class seats that had been given away just five minutes ago....what a bunch of maroons. And naturally as is the case with every freakin airline, they were oversold, this I really don't understand either. I know they are all inches away from bankruptcy, but do we really need to overbook flights, I mean how many people are not going to show up for their flight and how many people are on standby already....c'mon folks!!!???

Anyway, Houston was fun (70 degrees, gotta love xmas in the south) played some golf.....actually had someone say "howdy" to us one morning...I gained a little weight and clogged the arteries a bit with all the fried food and bbq that I was treated to. If you are looking for the best bread ever it is the jalapeno cheese bread from Goode's BBQ, which pretty much goes with anything except PB&J. We experienced the child from hell...now I am all for children, in fact I plan on having some in the future, my hope is that I do not have this child. Screams, lots of screams, screaming was this child's way of asking for things...for everything....wow...it was not fun....I can only imagine what traveling on a plane must be like with that child. We saw King Kong, which would have been a great film if they had shortened every single scene by ten minutes. It also seems that Mr. Jackson had a conversation with Mr. Lucas about special effects, because it was very much over the top. Good casting, good acting, good cinematography, but they could have left a lot on the cutting room floor. I shudder to think how long the DVD director's cut version is going to be. We went bowling and I managed to retain my family champion trophy by ten pins.

Off to the lost city of Atlanta, where the airport is hell, but the people are just so damn nice. Picked up our rental car and headed via the 85 (I-85 for those of you not from california) and we were in the midst of god country. I was afraid to turn on the radio, because I didn't want to be inundated with jesus speak and we are all sinners yadda yada yadda. The billboards are the most interesting things around, all kinds of crap for g-o-d, fireworks, lotteries, a "In God we trust,United We Stand" (haven't seen that in awhile) and our personal favorite Cafe Risque which had billboards on both sides of the highway for a few miles "Topless, Topless" which became the catch phrase of the vacation. "Trucker discount/showers" which I'd rather just leave at that. "Breakfast, lunch, and dinner", I find it difficult to believe that any man would be able to actually sit down, eat pancakes, eggs, bacon and coffee served to him by a topless waitress, ok it's not that hard to imagine, but what kind of woman are on at the morning breakfast shift, or even the tuesday afternoons at 2pm shift? This place was in the middle of nowhere Georgia and we were very nearly on the verge of stopping there for lunch just because we were so damn curious (thankfully the wife and I thought better of it). Highlight of the drive: A georgia license plated SUV with a Kerry/Edwards sticker on the bumper...never thought I would see that.

Greenville, South Carolina...a nice place to visit. The wife thought she could live here, I said there is no way in hell and after a few short hours...she realized it. Not that it is such a bad place, but the wife and I are a particular breed of thinkers that would have a difficult time living there.....you must remember that it is the home of Bob Jones University (google it) and that is all I will say. The grandparents were happy to see us and have us around, which was great. Saw a cousin of mine too whom I don't often get to see which was nice. Lots of good food as usual and time well spent. My grandfather is simply a nice man, who tells a lot of the same stories over and over again, year after year, but I still love him. Yeah you heard me, I love my grandfather, you gotta problem with that?

Driving back to Atlanta (Topless, Topless and no we still didn't stop). Checked into the hotel and watched some movies, had lunch at Johnny Rockets and dressed up for a wedding/New Years Party....it was a lot of fun. Drank too much, as is often the case on New Years, but didn't really pay for it the next day thankfully. The wedding was a lot of fun, one of the more exciting ones of the past year that we have been to and the only one that comes sorta close to rivaling our own wedding in terms of the food, our food was better, but this was really damn good.

The trip home was relatively uneventful...we coasted into the rental car return area on fumes, which was fun, checked into the flight and headed back to Newark. The longest vacation we have had together in a year and a half. It was nice to be back in our own bed though.

The following day we took a bus to the bronx in order to pick up the bird which is another story.

Back to work and no grades back yet for the semester....damn....4 months to the MCAT and 6 months to the start of the med school application process...god help me.

cheers.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
"where do we go
where do we go now
where do we go
ooo...ooo...ooo...where do we go
where do we go
ah...where do we go now
ah, ah, ah, ah, ah, oooooooo
where do we go now
ah ah where do we go now
where do we go
sweet chi-ei-ei-ei-eieieieiei---ld of my-e-ine"

"TOPLESS, TOPLESS"

1 Comments:

Blogger moosk said...

and only i know what the h*ll he's talking about -- "topless! topless!"

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home