Friday, August 19, 2005

Those Lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer are coming quickly to an end

Somehow the weather has been just a little bit nicer here in the city. The humidity has even dropped a bit which is a welcome change from the immense amount of sweat that creeps it's way through my shirts. And since I've been wearing a backpack for most of the summer (containing my precious spanish materials), when I've arrived at a destination and take it off I am left with two racing stripes of sweat on either side of my upper torso. It really is quite attractive. Thank god for speed stick or I would stink too.

Acabé español y ahora no necesito tomar nada más. ¡Hay, qué bueno para mi! Recibé una "A" para la primera parte y una "A+" para la segunda. Tengo que "Toot my own horn" porque estoy muy arogante.

So now I have the next week off from school. What will I be doing you ask? Why, studying off course. I picked up a pre-organic chemistry book a few weeks ago and it is high time are started getting down to business. I have a tough semester ahead and do not want to slip. Still no word from this linkage program and I am wondering if I should just write it off at this point. I would think that someone would let me know one way or another. The world's good friend "Murphy" has a knack for making things happen when you are about ready to move on. Alas, we shall see.

On to hollywood. So my wife and I watched "Dirty Pretty Things" last night, a film by Stephen Frears and put out by Mirmax & BBC Films (gotta give credit where credit is do). I have to say that I did enjoy the film. It was not fantastic, but it was certainly more original than the shlock that comes from out west. Can I categorize this as a foreign film? I think I can and the reason why is the characters looked like real people and with just about every foreign film that I have seen the characters look real and therefore are more believable. Why doesn't this happen more often in Hollywood? Yes, yes the business is about make-believe, but given the fact that a great many of these hollywood blockbusters end up failing at the box office isn't that some kind of sign to film producers out there that we as consumers need something that is not so glossy. Hey, I still enjoy watching piece of crap blockbuster occasionally, but I am now more likely to spend $2-3 to rent it rather than experience it in the theatre. It has got to be something pretty dang special for me to go spend $11.50 and I can tell you it won't have Mr. Cruise, Ms. Jolie, or Ashton Kutcher. And you know what else, we need a helluva lot more minority actors in major roles. Bottomline? Expand the damn talent pool in every direction and produce more original films with smaller budgets. The business is stagnant, just like Broadway. Yeah, I know I am frickin dreaming because I belong to a small contingent of film watchers and the masses need their cotton candy pieces of crap so they can forget about their lives for a couple of hours and see s**t get blown up. Oh well.

I'll be off to the dentist later today to begin stage two of my dental implant procedure. Today they will be "shaping the gum". I had a titanium screw drilled into my jaw back in March and it has healed well according to my oral surgeon. I am hoping that today's procedure is quick and painless. Actually, the screw procedure was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. They shot me full of novocaine and I really didn't feel a thing. BRUSH AND FLOSS YOUR DAMN TEETH PEOPLE.


QUOTE OF THE DAY
War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength
- Orwell, 1984


HAIKU OF THE DAY
i watch the leaves fall
drift lightly in fall breezes
as gray clouds roll in

Have a great weekend one and all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home