Monday, August 08, 2005

The new and improved "Energy" bill

From the NYT article today, Bush signed into law today a 1,724 page bill that will do nothing to decrease the price of gasoline, will do nothing to decrease our dependence on foreign oil, and is basically a huge tax break for all of our poor poor energy companies to begin looking at alternative sources of energy, but what these tax breaks and loans will actually do is continue to fill the coffers of the already wealthy oil companies that do business with foreign oil producing nations. I am well aware that the problems facing thsi nation in terms of dependence and price will not be solved overnight, but jeezum crow giving these guys tax breaks is not the way to go about it. It is as though we are rewarding these companies for destroying the air that we breathe and making sure that the price of oil and gasoline continues to sky rocket. Does everyone here think it prudent to get some independent auditors of these company accounts to make sure that all of this money that these companies will be saving will actually be spent producing alternative sources of energy. It is all fine and good to simply say that these companies are receiving tax breaks and loans, but it is another thing to actually make sure that these companies actually use the money for this purpose and not on a solid gold tub or a charming 8 bedroom mansion in Vermont for some CEO.
From the same article Bush "acknowledged (the bill) will do little to alleviate the high prices of gasoline at the pump for most Americans." You mean to tell me that there are a few Americans out there who will pay less for gas because of this bill, but most Americans will not? What the hell does that mean?

I feel bad that Peter Jennings is dead, I was kind of hoping that Tom Brokaw would go first so that we didn't have to listen to his damn "Greatest Generation Ever" crap. What a way to make the rest of us feel really good about ourselves. Sheesh. No wonder there is so much apathy in this country. Why should we try to accomplish anything when the "Greatest Generation" has already happened. And have things really changed for the better because of the "greatest generation", racial prejudice (still here), Women's Rights (I believe that there is still that glass ceiling hanging over their heads, except for Oprah). Ok I will stop now and say that the people from this generation are a wealth of information and I can understand what makes this generation special. I just have a problem with them being called the greatest generation and me being from Generation X. There are some amazing things that have been done in my time as well. What about me dammit! ME ME ME ME ME. I really don't have a problem with any of this and have no idea why I am even writing all of this down. OK, well I know why because I am an arrogant selfish SOB sometimes and perhaps I wanted to make some sort of correlation between myself and Tom Brokaw who is also an arrogant selfish SOB (or so I've heard...no wait that's mike wallace). Argh...ok I really am going to stop now. Heh heh heh.

Had a very nice weekend with the wifey and met up with many individuals en Parque Central y Parque Prospect. On Saturday we met up with one of my chemistry study pals and his girlfriend which finally proved without a doubt that I actually did spend every saturday studying and not with some floosy (my wife and my pals girlfriend were, I think, both quite relieved at this meeting, apparently it was a concern on both ends...silly girls...I believe my wife thought that it was a little sad that we spent 6-7 hours each saturday actually talking about and working on chemistry...what can I say?...we're dorks and we love it!) The following day was spent out in Brooklyn with another set of friends and I actually got to play some catch again. It had been awhile and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

QUOTE OF THE DAY
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work. I want to achieve it through not dying."
-Woody Allen

HAIKU OF THE DAY
I like to drink beer.
It is fun to be swimming,
in a dizzy pool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home