Thursday, July 14, 2005

Thursday, July 14th 2005

I am at work at the moment and managed to obtain a free minute or so to write a few things down.

I have been free from school for the past couple of days and I really don't know what to do with myself. It is strange to have some time to yourself where you don't have to think or do anything if you don't want to. I should be reading up on organic chemistry since I will be starting that class in the next month and a half, but I haven't done a whole lot of it. Instead I played video games pretty much all day yesterday, mostly NHL 2003 and GTA:Vice City. Both games are a great deal of fun and I enjoy playing them, so much so that the time yesterday pretty much flew by. The wifey and I also went to her father's building on the east side of town that is in the midst of being completed and I was shocked at how incredible this place is. Probably one of the nicest buildings in the city. I want to live there but don't have the 7 figure checkbook. Alas.

I am also anxiously awaiting a call or an email from a particular medical school about a program that I have applied to which would help me gain early acceptance. I am on pins and needles about this and have had trouble sleeping because I keep thinking about it. It has been a little over two weeks since the applications were submitted (I am going up against 14 other people for 2 available slots) and I realize that things like this take time and I should be patient but I am only human. I am not saying that I deserve one of the slots but I would at the very least like to get a phone call for an interview. We shall see what happens. Getting this postion would help out me and my wife because provided I do well for the next two years and do well on the MCAT I should pretty much be able to guarantee that I would be going to med school at this particular institution and would not have to slap down a couple grand in applying to so many other schools and we could start looking for a more permanant residence. I of course would still apply to multiple institutions just not as many as I originally intended.

I also spent part of last night and this morning watching "The Last Temptation of Christ." This film is incredible. I remember all the "controversy" surrounding this film when it came out. How certain people on the religious right were condemning the film without having seen it simply because they heard that there was a scene in which Jesus has sex with Mary Magdalene. All of this commentary of course came in the wake of several religious leader sex scandals which is just funny. The thing so great about the film is it's portrayal of Jesus as a human being with human wants and needs. This humanistic quality to the character makes him all the more real and more believeable than any other portrayal of Jesus that I have ever seen. It makes you want to believe in him and follow his teachings of love, because he was very much like us in having doubts, wanting to do what was right and not fully knowing how to do it. What people who criticized the film, without having seen it, didn't realize is that the scenes in which Jesus lives like a man is merely an attempt by the devil to trick him. It is all just a vision wherein Jesus is being tempted to give in to his human wants instead of dying on the cross. It's the last temptation. Once Jesus realizes that this life was not real and it was the devil's doing we see him back on the cross fulfilling his destiny. So I don't quite see what the problem is. Of course I am not a very religious person so this wasn't very upsetting to me, nor was the idea that Jesus was a human being and not necessarily some all powerful supernatural entity. So it is just a beautiful film about a very interesting person who we really honestly don't know all that much about. And no I have not seen nor do I plan on seeing "TPOTC" by that australian nut job. I will say that seeing JC as a human being makes him that much more fascinating to me. I think that his true message to mankind has been twisted and turned into something that he would be ashamed of today. Love, it is as easy as that. What the heck has happend to us?

Ok so no more about religion. I could go on and on and on, but I won't.

I couldn't imagine what my life would be like without the woman that I married just over a year ago. It has been a wonderful ride and I look foward to the ups and downs that no doubt we will face together in the future. Key word here being together. I wish that you all could meet her someday because she really is something special. She is the cornerstone to my life and I have been thanking my lucky stars that she is with me. She was one of the reasons I went back to school and one of the reasons why I take better care of myself in terms of those nasty habits that people have (granted I still have a few cigarettes now and again, but when I first started dating her, my god it's been over five years since our first date, I was smoking like steel mill.) So that is my declaration of love. I could not finish this thought by also pointing out that she is damn sexy and when people I have met see her picture they always compliment her beauty and tell me how lucky I am. Boy, don't I know it.

I went to an eye doctor yesterday and found that I need a slightly higher prescription for my contacts. Thanks mom and dad for these wonderful eye problems that you have given me. Is it me or have the state of people's vision become worse and worse because we are all staring at computer screens all day? All signs point to yes on this one. It is bad enough that I have lenses that are shaped not unlike footballs (damn astigmatism), but now because I have spent the last six years in front of a computer screen (not exactly what you think you would be doing in the theatical entertainment indusrtry) my eyes are getting "tired" faster.

One last note on "The Last Tempting of Jeebus" Peter Gabriel's soundtrack is one of the finest pieces of music EVER!

QUOTE OF THE DAY
Ha! I got your hat! Take that, hatless! Now go back to the quad and resume your hackey sac tourney! I'm not gonna lay down for some frat boy bastard with his damn teether sandals and his Skoal Bandits and his Abercrombie and Fitch long sleeved, open stitched, crew neck Henley smoking his sticky buds out of a soda can while watching his favorite downloaded Simpsons episodes every night! Yes, we all love "Mr. Plow"! Oh, you've got the song memorized, do you? SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE! That is exactly the kind of idiot you see at Taco Bell at 1 in the morning! The guy who just whiffed his way down the bar skank ladder!
-Stewie Griffin

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home