Saturday, August 27, 2005

This just in....Saturday Blog...a once in a lifetime event....

I am at work at the moment enjoying some comedy central online and watching a guy install the new office ice machine. I can't tell you enough that it doesn't get any better than this. Soon I will be off to join my chemistry cohorts for one last Saturday of preliminary organic chemistry studying. I'm a nerd you say? Yes...yes I am...a nerd who wants to get into medical school and I'll be damned if I don't.

Last night's 4 and 1/2 hour volunteer session went very well. I have to say that I am always amazed at how crazy it can get in there especially when you are the only volunteer on duty and every tom, dick and harry needs you to do something that they don't necessarily want to do themselves. But shock of all shocks the nursing staff was a bit nicer than usual and I actually received a couple of "thanks for doing that." There are still a few things that I find a bit strange about the whole operation, but for the most part everything ran pretty smoothly. I am constantly reminded of how old I am (and I am not even close to being a doctor) by all of the very young looking first year residents, interns, and med students. I am also a bit jealous as they are where I want to be. I must also point out that it took a couple of months for some of the administrative desk staff to warm up to the fact that I was there to stay and I was witness to a great deal of disdain that one woman had for an intern who was asking her a number of questions that should have been directed to a nurse. Thankfully, a nurse cheerfully chimed in with the answers as the administrator was about to burst out with something nasty. Problem averted and note to self: when you are an intern do not bother the administrative desk staff for anything just ask a nurse. If it were me I would've glanced at my patient print outs and simply asked the nurse in charge of the patient if she know what was going on and make an attempt to follow up if I noticed that the patient was still there an hour later. This way, not only do you learn the names of the nursing staff, but you can also not get into too much trouble. It of course is all fine and good to write about doing this and it is another thing to follow through. I could just be fooling myself. 6 years from now when I am an intern, perhaps I will look back at this comment and say "Ha...I was fooling myself for ever thinking that I would have the time to do a simple task such as that." We shall see.

Alrighty than.....Have a good weekend all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home