Wednesday, March 08, 2006

You walk down the streets of this city often enough and you start to notice things that you may not have noticed before. The way the light from the sun beams down Madison Avenue at lunchtime. The avenue stretchs up and down a good length of the island and from the way the light is coming down it looks as though there is a haze floating just above the top of people's heads. The cacaphony of traffic congestion and people talking either to their walking companions or their mobile companions about some kind of deal, where they want to eat, or what they are doing tonight is louder than the music playing in my ears. A million people must walk these streets everyday, like moths attracted to a big lightbulb at the center of town with their eyes towards the heavens as though they don't have tall buildings in their hometown. The ones who have been here the longest have that thousand yard stare that pierces you right through the middle. There is no time to look up or out for what is above or right in front of them. People squeeze through each other like they are being pressed into sausage just to be the first across the street once the light changes or the traffic clears. A bustling madness and yet there is a timed beauty, a serenade or dance that bubbles at the surface.

"I hope I remember my bosses birthday next week."
"Crap, I need to get cat food on the way home."
"...and that leaves me with only a few hundred for the next two weeks."
"I like popcorn"
"George Clooney"
"Look at that ass."
"What the hell happend last night?"
"If they don't want to sign the contract...."
"...and I was like oh my god...I can't believe this is happening"
"get the f**k outta my way"

Then there is the excessive **HONK**.....**HONK**......**********HONK***********
The single greatest act of futility. You hear them even when you are several floors of concrete, steel and glass above the city street.









yee-haw....to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home